Friday, September 7, 2012

DIY Woven (Tangle free) Headphones with Embroidery Floss

Hi hi! So I was a bit over ambitious in my previous post... I ended up doing ONE project hahaha! Hey, better than none right? But checkkk it out! I think I did a pretty good job!

Materials used: embroidery floss (pink, peach and metallic gold, didn't go for the yellow), iphone headphones and some pink beads, which are not shown because I decided to add them later).


Started on the lower part of the 'Y' shape of the headphones. Wasn't sure about adding the beads but my sis was like "waa so bling!" so I knew that it was a go!


This section took the !@#$#@% longest! I watched through a National Geographic marathon about the incredible 'super powers' of different animals...

Anyway, the metallic gold appears to be silver in this photo, but I swear it's GOLD!!


The upper parts of the headphones went considerably faster. Maybe because I was getting the hang of things or maybe I was super pumped while watching Sherlock (UK version)! And finally....

TA DA!!


I'd say that this is a pretty cool project if you have a day to spare. Or I guess you can complete it over a few days. From my experience, iphone headphones are quite delicate. I've gone through 3 pairs in the past 2 years! My last pair just lost sound on one side for no reason, the second pair got ran over by a car.... and the first pair was stolen by my brother and by the time I got them back the wires were exposed in several different areas... So OK, maybe it was just a series of unfortunate events, but my point is that I think that the woven embroidery floss will act as some kind of 'shield' for the cords. I was actually a bit paranoid while weaving... I was scared that if I tied the knots too tightly, it'll damage the wires inside the cords. Anyway, I doubt I was able to damage them that way and we will see how strong this 'shield' is! Oh, and of course, I will enjoy the assurance that I will not have to untangle these headphone cords ever again!

No comments:

Post a Comment